trying to live
where my shadows can't cast
I promised to rekindle his soul
and try my hardest to make it whole
But along the way i've lost
the person who loved me most
I was left with his demons
and I stayed for foolish reasons
driven by guilt–
I had to love him at all costs.
We were plagued by this disease
and in its presence, we freeze
Everyone holds the knowledge
never to love what brings damage.
He became my addiction
but this need I had to fight
cause in his eyes I only saw
his need of its sight
while it shines
Bright,
under the light
In a sniff it's gone,
despite all his might.
While there I remained,
because of his spite.
Each night I pondered
ways to retrieve you
I've driven my mind to insanity
but never once out of it
in the morning I woke
hopeless and shattered.
I hated you–
but mostly myself
for my interminable hope
that you are still here
and my terror's not real
I touched what was once your skin
but now the surface squeaks
the glistening powder now covers your body
and deep within your soul too.
Im sorry–
but I don't know how to retrieve you. anymore
So I sat by his grave
I tried to return,
everything he gave.
It was never enough
and this journey's been rough.
So I tried to run as fast
away from my past
I shed a tear
and promised
it'll be the last.
I like the freedom of this poem. I love the bold rhyming choices like most lost and cost. I love the imagery as well, how you describe his skin being powdered. I have a question though. When you say you, who are you talking to? Are you going back and forth in describing the memories to talking to him. I would make that more clearer. If anyone else disagrees, disregard this comment.
ReplyDeleteDamn Meyumi! When I read this poem I want to throw my hands around and start stomping out of how lively it makes me feel. It creates this feeling expressive anger/frustration but in a very articulate and pretty manner. The balance between passion and control.
ReplyDeletePowerful work. A truly important poem. I agree with Henry and Casey in their comments. You could italicize the "you" section so we know it's a different register of the speaker's voice. Or you could try putting the poem consistently in either "you" or "him" address.
ReplyDelete