Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Perseverance

Just a really short piece I wrote... Felt like sharing... :)

Perseverance

Red Balloon
Rises
From Child's grasp

Curly pigtail waving goodbye
Rising Up and Over
School's Blacktop Crime Scenes,
Cyclone Fence Jails

Over
Imposing Skyscrapers
Filled to capacity
With Suits Wistfully Watching
It rise into Smog-Choked Skies
Eating through Cotton Candy Clouds...

Latex Dimpling
Rising Undeterred--
Pop!

4 comments:

  1. That's a fun one. Last stanza is nice, but might need to be worded differently to match the others in form. If you wanted to leave that alone you could, as if could also o be interpreted as the balloon popping. Otherwise, I love the structure, the imagery, and the detail. It makes the image come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your poem, Ashley! (: The first two stanzas had me wondering about how many more places loose balloons have gone compared to me... What have they 'seen' that is foreign to me? I especially like the lines "With Suits Wistfully Watching / It rise into Smog-Choked Skies / Eating through Cotton Candy Clouds...". The alliteration of the w sound is wonderful; it's like the wist gets personified. And then the smoggy skies are contrasted with cotton candy... I feel it's almost as if to say the dreary, dirty sky can't hinder my dreams. Thank you for sharing!
    -- Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, love this experiment and have some ideas about it for our conference (along with ideas about a few other pieces). You seem to me to be going this direction (see poem pasted below)— I love this piece by William Carlos Williams. Notice how to get the most possible power out of the poem, he erases almost every scrap of sentiment, just that one word "man"… There's a scene in "American Beauty" with a bag blowing in the wind like this. Also, you know the cummings poem I'm sure about the balloon man "in Just-" :) — keep up the good work!

    The Term

    A rumpled sheet

    Of brown paper
    
About the length



    And apparent bulk
    
Of a man was
    
Rolling with the 



    Wind slowly over

    And over in 

    The street as

    

A car drove down

    Upon it and 

    Crushed it to



    The ground. Unlike

    A man it rose

    Again rolling



    With the wind over

    And over to be as 

    It was before.

    ReplyDelete