Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Things I Sleep With + Revision


I wrote this randomly over the weekend. It is a total experiment, and dedicated to my best friend Lindsay. I hope you like it.


The Things I Sleep With

Sleeping with dead sunflowers
by my closet door
the ones you gave me for
a broken heart tasting so sour
I can’t throw them away
but I should throw them away

I sleep with rose quartz under my pillow
the one from the gem show
to help me change and grow
that I cleansed it beneath the willow
the one I showed you
That makes me miss you

I sleep with an empty tea cup
the one we choose
to ground, that we use
before card readings chatt’n it up
It’s like I am with you
If only you knew …

I sleep with a talking book
by Cassandra Clare
To escape this nightmare
and the time wasted that it took
I listen carelessly
And curse restlessly

I sleep with something else too
the touch of your hand
the scratching beach sand
giggling … and memories of you
something that will never fade
… something we made

Here is the revision. I combine what I think I liked in each revision so far. I'm debating if I should go back to the original on the ending.Also, I meant to mention that my origninal version was inspired by a question someone asked me. So thank you Henry! 
The Things I Sleep With
By Casey Bernasconi

I sleep with dead sunflowers
By the closet door
The ones you gave me for
A broken heart, tastes so sour
I should throw them away
I can’t throw them away

I sleep with a rose quartz heart
Under my pillow
Cleansed by the willow
you showed I at Indian park
to help me change and grow
the one I got at the gem show

I sleep with a talking book
By Cassandra Clare
To escape my nightmares
And wasted time that it took
You wanted me to read
Recorded over hopeful  pleads

I sleep with a large tea cup
Empty just like me
Until I forget to see
You, I’ll fill it when I wake up
A circle of grieving
Of your sudden leaving

I sleep in that small rock cave
By the angered sea
Where we ran quickly
From the tide until saved
Crying our caw sound
Writing my love in the ground

I sleep with a redwood stick
To protect my nobility
To mask my vulnerability
Despite it, I still feel sick
With burning tears
Over you my dear

I sleep with our friendship
Screechy loud music
crow feathers mystic
and our reckless mischief
clutching me tight
sinking in through the night


4 comments:

  1. Good Good! The rhymes are not forced despite the meter. It's a sweet poem, although sad, the end has a nice bit of closure, that I like the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the length of the first version better. It keeps all the stanzas about concrete things. The phrasing is better in the second version though, has much more immediacy. "I sleep with dead sunflowers" is a million times stronger than "sleeping with dead sunflowers", for example. Personally, I'd keep the second version through the teacup stanza, then add the original closing stanza. Nice imagery in both though, and very clear voice. Your feelings stay obvious and consistent throughout. and the rock cave, redwood stick, and friendship stanzas in the second version are all good writing, I just don't feel your original poem is strengthened by their addition. So maybe put aside for another poem? good job though, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Barb and Joel for the feedback. I do agree. I guess I just have trouble killing those added verses. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the revision! I liked the old ending, but like the new one better it goes with the poem better and I think the last two lines fit really well since it ties back to sleeping. Also love these lines, "Crying our caw sound / Writing my love in the ground" those made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete