Imprisoned
Held tight
Chained down
Unable to breathe
Unable to focus
Unable to eat
Chest pounds at just a thought
Running in circles on my mind
Mouth goes dry
Hands start to shake
Your voice whispers
I hear it as I fall asleep
When I wake
When I stumble out the door
Your gaze lingers
I feel it as I fall asleep
When I wake
When I stumble out the door
Your grip tightens
I feel it as I fall asleep
When I wake
When I stumble out the door
Every inch of my body
Covered in you
Drenched in you
Burn marks on my brain
Scars on arms and thighs
Tears on hidden muscles
I have begun to ask myself
Who am I without you
And find I have no answer anymore
Wow. Compelling. really intense and important, Laura.
ReplyDeleteHave you read Joy Harjo's poetry?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAYCf2Gdycc
or
https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/eng190/files/2012/11/Joy-Harjo.fearpoem.pdf
I really like the first lines, held light chained down and the line tears on hidden muscles. That gives me a very powerful spiritual image. I like this poem for its raw truth as well.
ReplyDeletethe whole poem rocks, but oh my god you got me with the last three lines. had to read and reread that, and i get chills every time.
ReplyDelete