I wanted so badly to be the nicotine stain on your teeth after a long day at work,
the dank Mary Jane in your black pipe when you needed to take off the edge,
the liquor you intoxicated yourself in every night to forget.
I wanted so badly to be yours—to be your greatest addiction.
But I...I was only the bitter aftertaste,
the temporary high,
the hangover in the morning.
I was nothing more than ash, and stem, and broken bottles.
Nothing more than just this nothingness.
Valuable and fascinating writing. Let's talk about this one. It may be on it's way to being… a sonnet.. who knows :) but I'll keep that crazy thought to myself (except that I guess I just wrote it here..). —kw
ReplyDeleteYeah, that is a really good poem. I really like the unique way you use the idea of alcohol to represent the addiction without being typical, the way you describe being someone's aftertaste and hangover. I wish the last part matched the first. Maybe you could add more to the lines on the bottom, starting from temporary high. Love this poem a lot.
ReplyDeleteBeing a college student, I am quite familiar with the feelings of being high, drunk, and hungover. So, it's very striking to me that you use both of those strong polar opposite feelings to describe your longing for this (relationship?). I like the switch, it's as strong as punch!
ReplyDelete