Reading Paul's elegy poem, It made me think of my own relationship with Adam as well as my perspective of that day. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you.
Adam
You handed me a white rose,
Your tanned hand decorated in
Sponge Bob Band-Aids
A pride in your green eyes
when I noticed no blemishes
You introduced me to your
mother
And we shared a root beer
float.
When you saw me again,
You held my hair back,
As I threw up
Embarrassment was met with a
hug
That murmured
“I’ll never let you go.”
You were the only visitor
Who admired the beauty
Of my slanted, off kilter
home of blue bottle memories.
Who crawled inside the
entrance
An optimistic gaze missing
The potato chip texture of
chapped lips,
The glint of fat lenses
Magnifying the two brown
orifices of sadness,
You made me see the beauty of
looking through the royal blue lens
Our hands almost touching.
You were a hummingbird that
the teachers ushered out of the public classroom
But I could still
Hear the buzz of your name
Catch A glimpse of you in a
garden of talking daffodils
Spring was ending,
My arms craved to give you a
hug that murmured,
“I’ll never let you go…”
But you were already gone.
Blue bottle fantasies smashed
against my skull:
Agin’ and lovin’ and growin’ together
Fightin’ and compromisin’ and
livin’ together.
Now just a cruel joke,
A glittering mess,
Glinting mischievously, like
your eyes used to…
My anger boiled on the
scorching griddle black top
My classmates, Hypocrites,
Only appreciating your Portland Vibe For a moment,
Before discussing more
important matters of mani-pedis and pool parties.
Only one of your true friends spoke that day...
The other two chose to let
their grief simmer in silence.
After refreshing here and there all day, I come upon this...
ReplyDeleteGreat vivid imagery! Phrases like "blue bottle fantasies" and "Portland Vibe" especially stuck out to me. Honestly, this feels like a missing piece of a puzzle I alone could not truly fill has been placed...
Also, I have been thinking of contacting Mrs. Glover to arrange something for what would've been Adam's 20th birthday party (August 2nd). Kind of a celebration of life in his honor, if you will. Right now, it is just a thought, but I was wondering if you and Shartina would also be interested to any degree.