_________________________________________________________________________________
I Remember…
- Elegy to Adam Glover August 2, 1995 - April 19, 2008 -
I remember back in Seventh Grade my friend
Messy brown hair as wild as brush
I remember how his eyes at times flashed with pure zest for life
or times when they were as mischievous as a fox
Our interests though, as I recall, merely circled one another
like planets orbiting the same warm sun
somehow never converging no matter how much we tried
I especially remember that cold spring morning
fresh after the seasonal break
The unease I could not place
as I was called away from physical education
I remember the naivety of my hypothesis
and the bitter pang of the truth
I remember that moment when I was distraught beyond words
to learn that my friend had died only days before…
I remember the day of his memorial
The heat that seared the mountainside
I remember saying a few words at the service
My body trembling from nerves as my skin furiously baked
I remember how people thanked me for my courage
Even if my words were not at their peak on that day
And so I must remember him
Time and time again
No matter how many times I put him to rest
So that I can do his spirit true justice
So I can always remember to cherish this life
to not waste my potential within its span
In the end my words
Are but an invocation
To revive his spirit from within
As long as I remember...
No comments:
Post a Comment