Sunday, June 14, 2015

redruM

Hi, I just revamped a poem I did a couple weeks ago called, Death of a Childhood. I really loved the result and wanted to share it with all of you! Let me know what you think! :) 

redruM

I murdered her:

Prepping Vegetables
 As she sits on the white couch covered with a white sheet
Peeling onions’ skin
I wonder if she’d cry,
If I stripped her skin…
Frying up eggs In a pan,
As she burns her lungs with her cigarettes
I wonder if I should just crack her head on this beige laminate counter
It could use some color…

Drowning in scotch
Red faced
I wonder if she’ll have an appetite for bullets instead
But only breath comes out of my mouth
I will waste no words on her

My proclaimed Massa
Watching me slave away
Scrubbing the floor at two am 
With bleach and ammonia,
And a flash light
I ponder, the sentiment of Practice makes perfect

I walk into the old crime scene:
The master Bedroom
I fluff the pillows on the queen bed
Remember where my father lay on the white duvet covered with a white sheet
Kidnapped from me.

Snipping long braches that resemble her fingers
I wonder if she would scream
I stand on your unmarked grave
Worms feast on Black fur, Pink tongue—
Enough!
Slipping my tongue, mind, soul
In a paper bag of memories
I ignore her torrential tears, screams, even gun waving
Just wonder as I slip out the gate…
What freedom tastes like,

And whose soul will be poached and left wriggling upon the pyre?

3 comments:

  1. Dude I love it! I do wonder though what the motive is. That might be something to think about, or leave out. The riddle might be the intriguing part. See what others think. If so, you might want to add in more personal clues. That would also be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Casey, a very interesting idea! Maybe I will add some more context clues so the reader understands why there is such enmity between the poem's speaker and villain. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shartina, enjoyed our talk about this one in conference last week. Tell me which other poem I can still give you feedback on. I have been somewhat remiss. You're a wonderful writer.

    ReplyDelete