Saturday, June 20, 2015

What I've Learned About Poetry

Poetry, you are a minor enjoyment
something that I can pull out of my pocket
and dwindle on your flat face
more enjoyment comes w/ less expectations

Poetry you are also a drag
as serious and unbudging
as a stone
when taken seriously

Once I tried to be a great poet
and it just beat my head
My body got stuck
But now my hand moves freely

Are you truly something meaningful?
Now, you are a minor enjoyment

2 comments:

  1. Henry, you are an amazing poet with a natural talent. Please do not let ANYONE turn poetry into a minor enjoyment, don't make anyone think you should put your pen down. Just take a few days, but your voice needs to be heard...
    Great job as usual. Stay Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a poem replete with natural Henry charm and Henry voice. It doesn't get much better than that. Did you mean dwell, or dwindle? or both? The flat face connects to the stone later one. My favorite lines are as follows:

    Poetry, you are a minor enjoyment
    something that I can pull out of my pocket
    and dwindle on your flat face
    more enjoyment comes w/ less expectations

    Poetry you are also a drag
    as serious and unbudging
    as a stone

    Once I tried to be a great poet
    and it just beat my head
    My body got stuck
    But now my hand moves freely

    Are you truly something meaningful?

    ***
    I wouldn't end the poem with repeating the opening sentiment (Poetry, you are a minor enjoyment). Either end it with the question, or leap somewhere completely new. :)

    ReplyDelete