Sunday, August 23, 2015

Revised Poem: One Drop

Hi, so after a lot of reflection, I was able to narrow my focus. :) Please let me know what you think!


Reflection

I grew up in a tree house
The rich people’s version of roughing it
 Because it was a whole ten minutes away 
From four Michelin star restaurants.

In Los Gatos,
You can Spot Kids 
Being Hood Rat Wannabes
 Hats turned to an angle
Wearing the  
BOU
TIQUE
Low
Ri-
Der
Skinny jeans

Blogger Moms
Afflicted with the 
Rich B*tch Syndrome
Stepping in
Escalades and Louis Vuitton’s

Silences
Are shouting at one another…
Eyes quaking in a skull…
When they see you…

Their
Skin like receipt paper 
Yours Freckled in
Numbers, decimals, and dollar signs

Ray Bans daintily placed 
On the crown of your head,
Flash the Gucci watch
While grabbing the plastic…

Because Plastic buys Plastic…
American Express delivers a tight smile…
Pageant Queen wave…
Buys full lips 
A small smirk…
Approved.



Don’t look in the mirrors,
Or Memory will come banging:

Power Flickering
 Through your childhood home
Faucet’s leaking
One drop…
One drop of brown
Dripping,
Staining
 The chipped porcelain sink
STOP.

Look straight ahead
Let the lit trees
 On Main Street cushion your vision
Here every day is Christmas…

Don’t look in the mirrors,
Practice your swing,
Learn the language of
Fat, thin, slice, Chipping--
It’s the dialect only Suits speak…

Silences
Are shouting at one another…
Eyes quaking in a skull…
When they see you…

Their
Skin like receipt paper 
Yours Freckled in
Numbers, decimals, and dollar signs

Stab the plastic tee in,
Take your swing,
Mmph!
Perfect pronunciation
 With the green
Plastic buys Plastic
Par two earns a tight smile
An impressed handshake…
Buys Full lips 
A small smirk…
Approved.

Don’t look in the mirror
Or you might catch a glimpse of 
Stereotype…

A hole:
Your reflection in his eyes

And there’s the hole 
To bury your
Aspirations

Wistfully watch
Dandelions escape
Your mouth:
I wish 
I wish 
WISH….

STOP.

Wondering which skin to wear today
Pulling out hangers,
Trying Things on.
At Six,
Abuelita
 Put your Schlubby Sweats on house arrest 
You haven’t shaved, so no
Fuchsia Femme Fatale 
Boot cut slacks and a button up, it is

Pondering
Between spoons of Cocoa Puffs
 How they can have a glass of milk
Add a drop of chocolate
And still call it milk…
But they take a person
And black always defines them?

Stop.
Look in the mirror:
You’re beautiful.
 Full lips try on a shy smile…
Approved.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your revisions, but I would hope that you will take some of your old stuff, and make another poem about it. Part of me is so attached, but reading tbhis, it is like a whole other poem. Wow! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I really like the frustration of the first piece too, but this just seemed more real, more me. The rest is definitely great material for another time! :)
      I'm really glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. It's good to see people still posting! Ashley, this piece is so strong and raw in its honesty. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see people still reading! :) I'm really glad you like it so much! I would love to read more of your work, Casey and I will still on here for a little while longer, so feel free to post! :)

      Delete