I feel this poem has good flow, but I feel like something is missisng. Any ideas? :)
Home
American Boy
You were not cocooned and birthed of
this Earth.
You do not have her weathered hands
Nor Her brown complexion
Adopted Son,
You remind me of a leaning tree
Futilely trying to escape its roots
Of softly spoken words…
And loud guns…
Pounding breath and
Gurgling--
Gagged silence.
American Boy,
Help yourself to a double scoop
Of Garlic soft serve
And a dollop of sunblock
Visit your brother
Mother’s blood son
See his toasted skin,
Sizzle and toughen.
He has Father’s eyes and hair
Both smooth waves of obsidian arrowhead
Light sensually swaying
And Flitting through…
Native Son
You remind me of Corn Stalks:
Rising From
Bouncing turquoise beads and
Smoking Sage And
Burning flesh--
Deceptive silence.
American Girl,
You’ve lost something
Where was the last place you saw it?
Your dignity.
Maybe you should go back home…
To your old room:
Maybe your first boyfriend left it
there
(after he finished)
Or your mother tucked it in her
suitcase
(when she left)
Or maybe, maybe you’re the sharing type
Breaking off little pieces over time
Maybe you don’t even realize it’s gone…
Good Ole’ Boy,
A Mannequin cannot appreciate
Your shivering naked form
Slowly Stripped down
In conversations
Modeled from Magazines and Billboards
“She”
is not molded with
built in shelving for a brain or a soul
Endangered Species:
American Woman…
Please, come find me.
American society,
Squeezing into a steel boned corset
Ulcers from Uncle Sam
Cramps from Aunt Flow
Smashing together,
laced up tightly…
'Murica,
Poetry reminds me of a full-bodied
woman…
Smelling of empanadas and sage…
Humming over the pot
As she takes
Taste,
After
Taste,
After
I like the changing structure of this poem. There is a line between structure and passion. I like the direction this is going in. I do love the imagery, the objects that appeal to the senses a lot! I love the idea of this poem, but I'm not really sure if you should structure it more, or leave it free verse. The structure makes it seem more like a song. The second stanza of American Girl feels like a bridge to me.Would you be open to ending it with American Society? It gives it a pattern, but a small change. I was surprised that it didn't end there. Another question. What was your inspiration for this poem? What is it's story?
ReplyDeleteHi Casey, I was actually listening to a lot of activist performance poetry by Hedwig Gorski of the Beat Generation. I always have trouble deciding what the focus of my pieces should be. Thank you so much for your advice! It's always very helpful to have a fresh perspective. I reposted the new version a bit ago, so hopefully it's a little more focused and improved. :)
ReplyDelete