Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Stench of Marigolds

This is a poem I'd like to perform in a few weeks at a bilingual open mic called Lunada in San Francisco... just want to double check see if there is anything I missed in this piece. (I also put a couple translations at the bottom) Thank you in advance for any advice and I will definitely offer my opinion on 'Citrine Kiss' over the weekend! :)

The Stench of Marigolds

January 29th:
 Sixteen year-old
Breath is smoking on a cold morning
Deep.
Long.
 Drags
As the Sun greedily licks
The night off lampposts,
Molests the concrete

Resting head on dark ringlets,
Cradling necks,
Frustration vibrating
Through lips,
Torturing a bare shoulder
Shivers--
¡Aye dios mio!

The sun hovering over the twin hills
Crawling up Men’s 7 Adidas

“I can’t give you what you want…”
Stays in the voice box
Because even selfish brujas get lonely


January 30th: 
Now
Eyes a backyard pool Blue—
Daisies with yellow pupils

Skin a polished counter: Carrera White—
America’s most wanted

Tears Marigold petals: Orange—
Cylinder home to ten-milligram disks

*November 3rd:
Serenading the French door
By
Strumming the only two working strings
The sound carrying out
 Of the backyard’s fiberglass tomb

Climbing into
*'Manita’s casket of clothes…
Notes wafting through the vent spying
*‘Mano Con su Cartuchos--
Three bags of Cheetos
 Have already been murdered by the Munchies….

Acoustic plucking slipping under the door
To the adjacent bathroom
Caressing
Madre’s Raw hands--
Always scrubbing against
Yellow gloves

Finally, The strumming reaches
The little space above the garage
Where *El Jefe sits…
Cradling me in his large hands…
Leaving fingerprints on a glossy face

My guitar hums a history of love
But they can only hear
The dissonance of
A warm Gun's Barking laugh
Landline’s Shrill scream
And Howls reverberating
Against the Rustling, white sheet

Unknown:
 She snuck in my room before--
El Jefe was slicing Madre in the kitchen,
‘Mano sharpening his tongue on the whetstone,
‘Manita making her rounds at the retail stores…

Too tired to sleep,
Too fatigued to move,
She straddled me,
Red velvet caressed my thighs…
Want vibrating--
¡Santo cielo!

But Madre
“I can’t give you what you want…”
Leaving the room,
Reeking of Marigolds,
Yet.”
Stayed in the voice box,

Because even good mijos make mistakes


******************************************************************************
*Dia De Los Muertos
* Little Sister
* Brother with his joints
* Ole' man/ Dad

2 comments:

  1. I am not really sure what to say to this. I see that it has been mainly you and me posting. That's good, but I just wish more people would. I am slowly putting together a writers group on facebook, because I think it would more likely work when everyone is already on there. What do you think? Maybe you wouldlike to join?

    As for the poem, you have done it again! I can't really say anything about it, because your style is something I am not really familiar with in terms of writing. I am working on exploring more styles. I am sorry that I can't really say much. I have been enjoying your poems and your revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok, Casey. Always thankful for any feedback! I noticed that, too. I was hoping once people saw us posting, they might post a little something themselves... oh well, it was worth a shot! :)
    I'd definitely be interested, just tell me the title of the group, and i'll search and join!
    Also, looking over your poem, been a bit busy but you should be hearing from me this week... so far I really love it. Especially after I did research on the character you are referring too. His storyline reminds me a little bit of Lelouch's from Code Geass. Don't know if you've heard of it... but it has one of the best storylines! Sorry, reigning in my inner fangirl. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete