Friday, July 3, 2015

New piece I'm struggling with...Don't know if anyone is still checking on this

Just something I wanted to post... get some feedback on. :)

One Drop

We are here to put to rest
 the Millennials’ Imagination.
Convenience was cyanide
 A dash of Suri, a gulp of Google,
But Shock Value is the true culprit
Of Individuality’s demise

Like Electronic Cigs,
Temporary Tatts.
Paper towel implants,
Or when you kiss a girl
and you like it
but its just experimental... human nature,
And You hope your boyfriend don’t mind it.
Everything is cool,
As long as that tan fades.

I grew up in a tree house
The rich people’s version of roughing it
 because it was a whole,
yes a whole ten minutes away
from four michilin star restaurants.

With time, I’d learn
A black friend is an affluent white person’s pardon
To forgo the belt
And wear
LOW
RI
DER
Boutique skinny jeans
And Wide brimmed hats
meticulously turned to a 45degree angle.
 While their moms Showered 
in Channel and Tiffany tear drop diamonds
and glided in Louboutins
 like they were my light up Barbie sneaks

I was unable to read the subtext beneath
“ Are you good at hip hop dancing?” or
“Do you go to Sunday school?”
Well, the only pole was on my four-poster,
and I’m like every other daughter,
I only talk to my Father when I need something…
But back then Black
was only the name of one of my crayons.

I didn’t know then
 that the redwood trees we were surrounded by
Were future kindling for affluence’s arson
Using Jackson’s for lighters
 for a shiny new Apple, Gucci, William-Sonoma

No idea that that, we, as a society,
 dismember great oaks
Immure their remains together
Roll them up
Seal them in a machine
Rip them off
Just So they can shove them in pockets
Later dispose their wrinkled corpses
 from their designer purses
But the numbers become infused on our hands
Because a store’s slip of paper is a black person’s pardon.

When they see us
Silences are shouting at each other
Eyes are quaking in a skull
Power is written on a full-length body mirror
Lights got to SMACK it
For it to be seen
And even then it’s spelled backwards
Like natives shoved into pockets of San Jose’s skid row
Ripped off educations,
Sealed in minimum wage machines
Rolled up futures

Wanting our wrinkled corpses to be disposed
They put a suicide factory on every corner
Some of us shower in Liquid Amber
Smell like a gas station bathroom
Poverty’s arson is sparked by lit Marlboro’s  
Spreading…
Until they immure our remains in a overcrowded cemetery

White noise approaches
Chatter like wine glasses clinking—
But when they see me
Silences interrupt—
Shouting at each other
Eyes are quaking in a skull
Designed lips purse
Pearl Luxe&Lush nails caress Lincoln’s face
Disposing of him
by tossing him into my full coffee cup
Scooping Abe out to dry…
 We’re both cringing…
I go back to studying for finals…
Numbers become infused on my hands
Because a university’s slip of paper is a black person’s pardon

These numbers infused on our hands
are the days
Since we learned subtext,
At seven or eight,
When our parents told us,
“ Honey we have something to tell you…”

That Concrete will never be their bed,
Doorway their pillow,
Stars their roof,
Haunts some of us…
So we end up remaining
 In an overcrowded cemetery

Naïve ones with heavy pockets
Slowly reach--
Now their heads are leaking
Leaving silences in mid argument
Brains suffering aftershocks--
Isn’t a piece of paper supposed to be a black person’s pardon?

Power is written on a full-length body mirror
The light’s got to SMACK it
For it to be seen
And even then it’s spelled backwards
Like take a cup of milk and add one drop of chocolate
You’d call it milk…
But you take a person,
And one drop of black

 always defines them…

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you are still using the blog. Even if it is just us, I think that could be fun. Someone's going to have to hold up the fort right?

    Anyway, I loved this poem. It took me a while to understand it. I looked over the beginning of it.I love the idea, and the lines you produce. I just don't think with its story telling quality that it is completely foccused yet. I would suggest you play with the order of things. The end is really good. I like the beginning. Would you consider starting the beginning with I grew up in a tree house, instead of keeping the first stanza. I feel it turns it in to a whole other poem, or gives it a very differenc vibe, but that's up to you. Maybe I don't quite get what you are shooting for. It took me a while to get the various meanings like the drop, the liquid amber, the pieces of paper. I mean I got the black person's pardon part, I just don't quite understand what you are trying to do when you make statements about these paper towels. After reading it again I got it. If you hadn't written about the black birds I don't think I would have understood it. It is beautiful and I could keep reading it for a long time and still find something different. Is that the affect you wanted. It is very very good. I can't emphysize that enough. I think it is absolutely brilliant.

    I hope everyone keeps posting once and a while. It has been a crazy summer for a lot of us.Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete